Title

Damariscove Island, perhaps the first permanent English outpost north of Jamesto

Authors

Colin Woodard

Source

Down East

Date

7-1-2008

Pages

62-69, 96-97

Abstract

Damariscove Island, perhaps the first permanent English outpost north of Jamestown, might have been settled between 1614 and 1622. The Boothbay Region Land Trust took possession of the island in 2005. The Whitten and Ryan families own the island's prominent landmark, the old Coast Guard Lifesaving Station. There are stories of the ghost of Richard Pattishall, an early owner of the island, who was beheaded while overseeing the evacuation of Pemaquid in 1689. With a history of the island and its legends.

Subjects

Damariscove Island, Pemaquid (Peninsula)

Full text is not available here. Please contact the Library for a copy of the article.

Share

COinS