From 1874 until the early 1960s the United States Life Saving Service, later par
From 1874 until the early 1960s the United States Life Saving Service, later part of the Coast Guard, ran a station on Cross Island, east of Machias. Privately owned from 1785 through the 1880s, the island has been the scene of many rescues, a copper mining venture, fishermen's rivalries, and genteel entertainment for the life saving station members and their guests. Thomas Cabot bought the remainder of Cross after the Coast Guard left it uninhabited, later donating 29 acres to Outward Bound. Today it has only one occupant, retired lobsterman Simmie Dobbin. Details.
Howells, Anne, "From 1874 until the early 1960s the United States Life Saving Service, later par" (1988). Maine News Index - Island Journal. 141.
Full text is not available here. Please contact the Library for a copy of the article.