Title

Criehaven or Ragged Island, originally known as Ragged Arse in the 1790s, sits a

Authors

George Putz

Source

Island Journal

Date

1985

Volume Number

Volume 2

Pages

2, 4

Abstract

Criehaven or Ragged Island, originally known as Ragged Arse in the 1790s, sits at the mouth of Pensobscot Bay. For 50 years starting in 1848, its driving force was Robert Crie, who bought the whole island by 1879. The lack of a schoolteacher caused all its year-round occupants to abandon it in 1941, and disasterous storms of 1978 left holes in its breakwater, but ten seasonal fishermen remain. Related article interviews Criehaven "grand dames" Dorothy Simpson and Elisabeth Ogilvy. Details.

Subjects

Authors, Criehaven, Ogilvie, Elisabeth, Simpson, Dorothy

Full text is not available here. Please contact the Library for a copy of the article.

Share

COinS