Title

In 1873, the United States Life-Saving Service authorized five stations in Maine

Source

Island Journal

Date

1985

Volume Number

Volume 2

Pages

56-59, 60-63

Abstract

In 1873, the United States Life-Saving Service authorized five stations in Maine, from Biddeford Pool to Quoddy Head. Eleven more stations were built before the 1915 merger of the service with the Revenue Cutter Service to form the Coast Guard. Detailed history; Winslow Homer painting; related profile of Damariscove Station.

Subjects

Life-saving stations

Full text is not available here. Please contact the Library for a copy of the article.

Share

COinS