Title

Cushings Island was first described by European explorer Christopher Levett in 1

Authors

Edith Meacham

Source

Island Journal

Date

1984

Volume Number

Volume 1

Pages

23

Abstract

Cushings Island was first described by European explorer Christopher Levett in 1623. In the mid-1700s Jedediah Preble bought the island for tenant hay farming, but by 1840 Simeon Skillings had bought almost the whole island from Preble's heirs, using it for his farm, tavern, and shoe shop. In the 1850s, Lemuel Cushing bought the island and built the Ottowa House resort, which attracted up to 2,000 guests a night.

Subjects

Cushing Island Casco Bay

Full text is not available here. Please contact the Library for a copy of the article.

Share

COinS