Title

One of the most daring structures of its time in Maine was a wing called the Pav

Authors

Brad Emerson

Source

Portland Monthly

Date

2-2011

Additional Date Information

Feb-Mar 2011

Pages

41, 74-75

Abstract

One of the most daring structures of its time in Maine was a wing called the Pavilion, which was added to Blue Hill's 1842 Stevens building and designed by Cooper Milliken in the 1940s. The Pavilion, run by partners Lynn Thompson and Dorothy Heywood, became the unofficial first outpost of Design Research in Cambridge, Mass., a store that brought modern design to America. The building was shuttered in the 60s, and in 1967 was demolished by its new owner, an insurance agent who deemed the design "too New York."

Full text is not available here. Please contact the Library for a copy of the article.

Share

COinS