Three Dimensional Object
Portland Public Library Special Collections & Archives
This statue is actually a Buddhist lion and pup, with a pearl under the lion’s foot. These date from the late eighteenth century, given to the Library by Governor Percival Baxter around 1930. These lions traditionally came in pairs, and acted as sentinels on each side of the door of an important building. This one is the female and is usually at the right side of the door.
"Fu Dog" (2013). Art@PPL images. 10.