Detailed history and description of Lewiston's magnificent Saints Peter and Pau
36-39, 62-63, 66
Detailed history and description of Lewiston's magnificent Saints Peter and Paul Church. The basement of the church was completed by 1906, but no further work was done for the next three decades, allegedly because the Irish Catholic bishop of Portland was reluctant to see his own Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception overshadowed by a French-Catholic church in Lewiston. The upper church was completed during the worst years of the Depression at a cost of $800,000. The money being raised nickel by nickel and dime by dime by the shoe-factory and mill-workers of the parish; there was no great benefactor. The great gothic church was consecrated on Oct. 23, 1938. Over the years the church fell into such serious disrepair that thought was given to demolishing it. Instead, over $2.3 million was raised by the end of 1998, and the church was repaired and funds set aside to provide for its regular maintenance.
Churches Lewiston Ss Peter and Paul
Ward, Ellen MacDonald, "Detailed history and description of Lewiston's magnificent Saints Peter and Pau" (1999). Maine News Index - Down East Magazine. 2096.