Swan Island in the Kennebec River, a short, restricted-access ferry ride from Ri
Swan Island in the Kennebec River, a short, restricted-access ferry ride from Richmond, has been overseen for 22 years by Charles "Rusty" Dyke, a biologist with the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife. Designated as the Steve Powell Wildlife Management Area, the island is also on the National Register of Historic Places and is becoming increasingly popular as a camping and recreation site. The $10,000 generated in user fees falls far short of the annual operating budget of $80,000. As the abandoned town of Perkins Township, Swan Island has six remaining homes, including the 1763-era Gardiner-Dumaresq House, one of the few authentic saltbox houses left in Maine. Dyke believes it will take private support and initiative to realize the island's educational potential. The Friends of Swan Island and other groups are working towards the preservation of the island's buildings, but its future is econonmically uncertain.
Swan Island Kennebec River
Beem, Edgar Allen, "Swan Island in the Kennebec River, a short, restricted-access ferry ride from Ri" (2006). Maine News Index - Down East Magazine. 3153.