Article on the Goddard Mansion in Fort Williams Park in Cape Elizabeth. Designe
Additional Date Information
Article on the Goddard Mansion in Fort Williams Park in Cape Elizabeth. Designed by society architect Charles Alexander for lumber magnate John Goddard in 1855, the building was purchased by the Army in 1898. It was part of Fort Williams for decades, serving as quarters for enlisted personnel and their families. When the base was decommissioned, the town of Cape Elizabeth bought Fort Williams Park, including Goddard Mansion, for $200,000. In 1973, fearing injury to children playing on the rotting stairways, the town supervised the burning of the wooden components. By 1976, the town put the building up for salvage, but got no takers.
Historic buildings Cape Elizabeth Goddard House
Sargent, Colin, "Article on the Goddard Mansion in Fort Williams Park in Cape Elizabeth. Designe" (2004). Maine News Index – Portland Monthly. 638.