Opened on 21 February 1889 the Baxter Building, at 619 Congress Street, was home to the downtown Portland Public Library until 1979 when the Library moved to its larger and present-day home at 5 Monument Square.
In 1983, the building became part of the Portland School of Art (later, Maine College of Art).
The building was designed by prominent Portland architect Francis Fassett.
8 x 10" gelatin silver print.
"Portland Public Library (Baxter Building), ca.1890" (1894). Portland Public Library History - Photographs. 2.
Portland Public Library, Baxter Building, Francis Fassett, James Phinney Baxter