An article on Castle Tucker in Wiscasset, which owner Jane S. Tucker donated to
An article on Castle Tucker in Wiscasset, which owner Jane S. Tucker donated to the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities (SPNEA) this year, along with 140 years of her family's furnishings and belongings. Tucker has been dedicated to the house for the last 33 years and has opened it every summer for tours. She will continue to live in the home. Her restoration efforts won her the Maine Historic Preservation Commission's annual preservation award this year. She grew up in California, worked in various far-flung places, and never married. She and her sister inherited the house in 1964 and tried to sell it, but took it off the market when they realized no one would try to restore it. In 1972, she retired and moved from Boston to live in the house. It became her vocation, and she educated herself on restoration and wrote a comprehensive family history, which she hopes to pare down and publish. With a history of the house, built in 1807 by a judge named Silas Lee, and details on the new direction SPNEA is taking.
Architecture Conservation and restoration, Historic buildings Wiscasset Castle Tucker, Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities, Tucker, Jane
Ward, Ellen MacDonald, "An article on Castle Tucker in Wiscasset, which owner Jane S. Tucker donated to" (1997). Maine News Index - Down East Magazine. 2411.
Full text is not available here. Please contact the Library for a copy of the article.