Greater Portland-area restaurant menus from a 67 diners, restaurants, and cafés- most of which were collected between 1982 and 1989 by student workers at Portland Public Library. The digital scans were made by the Library from the vintage/original printed menus.
Amigos Mexican Restaurant
1982 Lunch and Dinner menus from Amigos' Mexican Restaurant and Bar, 193 Commercial Street. The popular Old Port eatery opened in 1972, and relocated to 9 Dana Street in 1983.
See Additional Files link (above) for the Amigos Dinner MENU.
Photographs of Amigos taken in 1973 can be seen at this link.
The Art Gallery Restaurant and Lounge
1982 restaurant menu from The Art Gallery Restaurant and Lounge (also popularly known as John Martin's), 121 Center Street. The restaurant was in business from 1974-1991.
A 1987 photograph of The Art Gallery can be seen at this link.
1982 Aunti Leoni's menu. The popular West End pizzeria was located at 72 Pine Street (at Clark Street).
1982 Menu from Bentley's Restaurant, 551 Congress Street (northwest corner of Congress Street and Oak Street).
A 1981 photograph of Bentley's can be seen at this link.
Menus from Boone's seafood restaurant (also known as Boone's Fish House and Oyster Room), 6 Custom House Wharf. The waterfront restaurant was first opened by Alexander Boone in 1898.
See Additional Files links (above) for 1989 Boone's MENU, and a humorous MENU from circa1950.
Photographs of Boone's from 1987 can be seen at this link.
Breakfast at Tiffiny's Pancake Kitchen
1982 Menu from Breakfast at Tiffiny's Pancake Kitchen, 396 Forest Avenue (southwest side of Forest Avenue, between Fessenden Street and Falmouth Street).
1982 menu from Carbur's Restaurant, 123 Middle Street, Portland Maine. The restaurant was in business from 1977-1997.
See Additional Files link (above) for the Carbur's 1989 MENU.
Photographs of Carbur's from 1977 can be seen at this link
1982 Menu from Chappie's bar and restaurant, 1190-1194 Forest Avenue (Morrill's Corner).
A 1985 photograph of Chappie's can be seen at this link.
Charley and Mark on the Square
1982 Menu from the diner Charley and Mark on the Square (in 1982 also known as Charley and Mark on the Square, and Susan too), 23 Monument Square.
1977 Photographs, with history, of Charley and Mark on the Square can be seen at this link.
Coffee and Sandwich Shop
1982 Menu from the Coffee and Sandwich Shop, 82 Exchange Street. An additional location was in Canal Bank Plaza.
A 1986 photograph of the Coffee and Sandwich Shop (82 Exchange Street) can be seen at this link.
Deering Ice Cream Shops
1982 Menu from Deering Ice Cream restaurants. At the time, the Maine-based chain had the following Greater Portland locations: 449 Forest Avenue, 1011 Forest Avenue, 1076 Brighton Avenue, 184 Saint John Street, 601 Broadway (South Portland), 237 Maine Mall Road, 1359 Washington Avenue, U.S. Route 1 (Falmouth), and 499 Congress Street (Maine Savings Bank Plaza).
A 1973 photograph of the 1359 Washington Avenue Deering Ice Cream grand opening can be seen at this link.
1982 menu from the Deli One restaurant, 106 Exchange Street, Portland Maine.
Photographs of Deli One, from 1979 and 1986 can be seen at this link..
1982 and 1989 Menus from DiMillo's (also known as DiMillo's Floating Restaurant), Long Wharf.
See Additonal Files link (above) for the 1989 MENU.
1982 and 1989 Photographs of DiMillo's, including history, can be seen at this link.
1982 Menu from DiPhilippo's (also known as Ye Olde Pancake Shoppe), 617 Congress Street.
A 1991 photograph of Anthony DiPhilippo at the entrance can be seen at this link,
and a 1968 full exterior view can be seen at this link.
1982 menu from Dock Fore tavern, 336 Fore Street (Boothby Square).
1980 Photographs of Dock Fore, with history of the business and the building, can be seen at this link.
Duffy's Pancake Kitchen
1982 Menu from Duffy's Pancake Kitchen, 84 Free Street. Brothers Robert Duffy and William Duffy also owned and operated Duffy's Bakery next door (94 Free Street), both near the Cumberland County Civic Center.
1983 Photograph of Duffy's Bakery can be seen at this link.
1982 Menu from Esposito's Restaurant, 1335 Congress Street. Esposito's opened in ca.1950 as Bob's Airport Café. Bob Esposito later changed the name of the restaurant, known as Esposito's until 2019.
1981 Photographs of Esposito's can be seen at this link.
July 1982, and August 1982 Menus from Foodworks, 205 Commercial Street (47 India Street, after 1991).
1982 Photographs of Foodworks can be seen at this link.
F. Parker Reidy's
1982 and 1989 Menus from F. Parker Reidy's Restaurant, 83 Exchange Street. The restaurant was in business from 1976-2001.
See Additional Files links (above) for the 1982 Lunch Menu, 1982 Special Menu card commemorating Portland's 350th anniversary, and the 1989 Menu.
1983 Photographs of F. Parker Reidy's can be seen at this link.
Friendly's Ice Cream
1982 Menus from Friendly's Ice Cream Restaurants. Based in Wilbraham Massachusetts, Friendly's Greater Portland locations began with 581 Main Street (South Portland) in 1970, 1408 Congress Street (Westgate Shopping Center) in 1973, and 376 Maine Mall Road (South Portland) in 1974.
See Additional Files links (above) for 1982 Friendly's Breakfast and Dessert MENUs.
1970 Photograph of Friendly's grand opening at 581 Main Street (South Portland) can be seen at this link.
1974 Photograph of Friendly's grand opening on Maine Mall Road can be seen at this link.
Giuseppe's Italian Deli
1982 Menu from Giuseppe's Italian Deli, 606 Congress Street (near Congress Square).
1987 Menu from Grandma's Restaurant, One City Center building food court.
An exterior view of One City Center in 1985 can be seen at this link.
Holiday Inn By the Bay
1982 Menus from Henry's Restaurant (Holiday Inn By the Bay), 88 Spring Street. The Restaurant used Henry VIII / Renaissance style themes in its decor and menus.
See Additional Files links (above) for the Henry's Breakfast and Lunch MENUs.
1973 and 1997 Photographs of the Holiday Inn, with background history, can be seen at this link.
1982 Menu from Horsefeathers Restaurant, 193 Middle Street. The restaurant was at this location from 1980-1992.
1980 Photographs of Horsefeathers Restaurant can be seen at this link.
Hu Shang Restaurant
1982 Menu from Hu Shang Chinese Restaurant, 7 Brown Street.
The Ng family began business at 608 Congress Street (see image at this link), before relocating to 7 Brown Street, and later adding a location at 29 Exchange Street (see image at this link) in 1984.
1982 Photographs of Hu Shang, 7 Brown Street can be seen at this link.