Portland's long time newspaper of record, the Portland Press-Herald
, began printing in November 1921 as Guy Patterson Gannett's merging of the Portland Daily Press
(which began in 1862), and the Portland Herald
(which was a short-lived successor of the Eastern Argus
, which began in 1803). Gannett later purchased the Portland Evening Express
, and the Portland Sunday Telegram
, and by the 1940s, the Press-Herald
as we know it today took shape as a daily newspaper.
The Library's Portland Room provides access to the complete run of the Press-Herald
(as well as the Evening Express
and Sunday Telegram,
along with their predecessor newspapers) on microfilm.
An additional electronic resource, offering the Press-Herald
fulltext, beginning in 1995 is the Maine Newsstand
database, freely accessible in Maine via Marvel